Jan 17 2012
Today, NBA.com posted the results of a survey they took of all NBA general managers. The participating general managers were not permitted to vote for their own teams. The topics included who the GM’s thought would win MVP, who will win the NBA title, who the best players were at their position and who the best coach was.
Here is the link to the survey.
Here are problems I had with the survey:
- When asked about the MVP, the general managers voted that Durant had the best chance to win at 55.6% and LeBron had the next best chance at 44.4% Derrick Rose received 0 votes. Really? Derrick Rose got 0 votes? What the hell is wrong with these GM’s? The defending MVP who’s team currently sits at 12-3 has NO shot to win the MVP? I think Derrick Rose has a very good chance to win the MVP considering his importance to his team and their eastern conference best record.
- I thought it was interesting how the general managers voted at 77.8% that LeBron was the best small forward in the league followed by Durant (18.5%) and Melo (3.7%). Despite my deep hatred for LeBron James, I do not necessarily have a problem with the order of this but I find the percentages interesting. Is there really that big of a gap between LeBron and the other two players? I don’t think so. All 3 players routinely compete for the scoring title and all 3 players have failed to win a championship. Melo has a winning career record over both Durant and LeBron despite having a worse team year in and year out. LeBron is not 59.3% better than Durant and he sure as hell isn’t 74.1% better than Melo.
- When asked who was the best center in the NBA, the general managers voted at 96.3% that it was Dwight Howard. Who got the other 3.7% of the vote? It wasn’t Andrew Bynum or Joakim Noah or even Tyson Chandler. It was Pau Gasol. The same Pau Gasol who rarely plays center and whose team was 2-2 with him as the starting center in Andrew Bynum’s absence. Gasol is a power forward and is not even the best center on his team much less the second best center in the NBA.
- Iman Shumpert, at 12%, was voted second behind Norris Cole of Miami, 44%, as the best “sleeper” rookie in the league. I think Shumpert should have been placed above Cole on this list. Not because he plays for the Knicks but because of the role he plays. Shumpert is the starting point guard while Cole is not the starter. Shumpert averages more points, rebounds and assists per game and he is a much better defensive player than Cole.
- At 76.9% Dwight Howard was voted the best defensive player in the NBA. There was nobody who garnered enough votes to be placed as the runner up but some of the players that did garner votes were interesting to me. The other players were: Aaron Afflalo (Denver), Shane Battier (Miami), Luol Deng (Chicago), Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (Milwaukee), Tayshaun Prince (Detroit) and Dwayne Wade (Miami). Tayshaun Prince?? Luc Richard Mbah a Moute?? No wonder half the league is shitty every year. Some general managers actually voted 700 year old Tayshaun Prince and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute as better defensive players than Dwight Howard?? That is appalling.
- This is the one that really pisses me off. When asked who the best head coach was, Greg Popovich won the vote with 42.3%. That is not what made me angry. Coming in 4th place with 7.7% of the vote was MIKE BROWN. Yes, that MIKE BROWN that got to one championship with LeBron in which he got swept by Popovich and the Spurs. The same MIKE BROWN that was unemployed last season and wasn’t chilling on ranch in Montana. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. These general managers voted him ahead of Rick Adelman, Doug Collins, Nate McMillan, Tom Thibideau, Scott Brooks, Mike D’Antoni and Stan Van Gundy. I would take any of those coaches over MIKE BROWN in a heartbeat. Brown is a good coach no doubt but he is not the 4th best coach in the league. In my opinion he is a worse coach then all those I just listed. To my knowledge, the survey only allowed the general managers to vote for their number one choice. That means 7.7% of the general managers voted him the best coach in the league. I do not see the justification in voting Brown the 4th best coach in the league nor does he have a resume that justifies that standing.
- The general managers went ahead and voted Derrick Rose as the league’s best point guard but then voted Chris Paul as the league’s best passer. Rose got no votes for being the league’s best passer. Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd and Jose Calderon received votes. How can the best point guard in the NBA not be one of the top 6 passers in the NBA? That makes no sense whatsoever. Chris Paul far and away is the best point guard in the league in my opinion. He can score, DISTRIBUTE, defend and steal the basketball. Rose is very good but isn’t the distributor nor defender that Paul is.
- I believe Melo is the most clutch player in the NBA along with Kobe. The general managers decided that Kobe (48.1%) and Durant (30.8%) were the two must clutch players in the league. Durant seems to be the new flavor of the league. He tops everyone’s lists of favorite players and best scorers. I think he is overrated. He is a prolific shooter no doubt and he does have scoring titles but he is not the best scorer in the league nor is he the second most clutch player in the league. While he is clutch, I do not believe he has been doing it long enough to trump Carmelo Anthony, the leader in 4th quarter scoring this season, as the second best clutch player in the league. He may eventually get there but he’s not there right now.